Sunday, June 26, 2011

no matter how calmly you try to referee, parenting will eventually produce bizarre behavior, and I'm not talking about the kids. - bill cosby






{today was hard}  most days, being a mom just comes naturally, but today . . . i really struggled to not just run away, screaming at the top of my lungs, tearing my hair out in clumps. my three year old was very much 
. . . alive . . . today. even after i got him and my daughter down for a nap and was able to rest, i had a dream that i was at church and my husband was nowhere to be found for hours. in the dream i went in the restroom and my skirt had fallen off of my backside without my knowledge and no one had told me. on top of that, i lost my kids there and every time i would find them, they would run away and disappear again. when i woke up, i was ready to pull the covers over my head and feel sorry for myself the rest of the night. then i heard the sweet sound of my kids giggling while their dad was tickling them. i decided to start the day over. somedays, it's so hard to remember that things may not always go smoothly, but each day with these kids is such a blessing. one day i'll look back on these days when the kids are all grown up and i'm sure i would give anything to relive even the days that are a little intense. after all, my son will never be 3 again. he won't always have that innocent sparkle in his eyes and i won't always see the same look of wonder in his expression when he experiences something new for the first time. 


here is an article i found over at What to Expect:






Being a mom is hard and I don’t think any mother will dispute this fact. 
It’s physically, emotionally, and mentally demanding.  
It can wear you down, 
wear you out, and wear you away.

Being a mom is hard for so many reasons.  
Physically? A full night’s sleep when your children 
are young is an impossible dream 
(that you never even get to dream because you never get to sleep).  
You are constantly caring for others
 and barely finding time for yourself to even eat or drink.  
Taking a shower is a luxury 
of which a new mother dare not dream.  
And on top of everything else you are constantly being climbed on, 
having your hair pulled, small, sticky hands all over your face.  
Personal space? 
A mother doesn’t even know what that is.  
I am sure most mothers understand the familiar concept associated with 
new mothers of being “touched out” where you just want to sit, alone, 
and have no one touch you after having 
your personal space invaded all day, day after day.

Being a mom is hard 
emotionally and mentally.  
The constant worry, anxiety, not only about your child’s safety but about your 
parenting decisions and whether or not you are raising them 
properly can turn you into a bundle of nerves.  
Giving your one hundred percent to your children only to have 
them shout at you repeatedly, “Mean Mommy! Mean Mommy!” 
makes you want to just curl into a ball and give up 
since you are obviously a terrible failure as a mother.  

Being a mom is hard because you have to let go when you aren’t ready, 
you have to teach them when they don’t want to listen, 
you are constantly being 
watched and copied, 
making your every action 
and word incredibly important.  

Being a mom is hard because
you have to stand your ground 
at times when you simply want 
to scoop up your child 
and hold them close.  

Being a mom is hard because there is no end at the end of the day, 
no end at the end of the year, no end even at the end.  
For all eternity I will be their mother.

Being a mom is hard.  It’s tiring, draining, stressful, 
demanding, challenging, exhausting, tough.  
Ms. Thesaurus here could continue but I will stop.  
I think you get the idea. 

But for all that being a mom is hard, I love being a mother.  
It is worth every strenuous second.





here's a poem i would like to leave with you:



Before I was a Mom
I made and ate hot meals.
I had unstained clothing.
I had quiet conversations on the phone.



Before I was a Mom
I slept as late as I wanted
   And never worried about how late
   I got into bed.
I brushed my hair and my teeth everyday.



Before I was a Mom,
I cleaned my house each day.
I never tripped over toys
   or forgot words to lullabies.



Before I was a Mom,
I didn't worry whether or not my
   plants were poisonous.
I never thought about immunizations.



Before I was a Mom,
I had never been pooped on,
   Spit up on,
   Chewed on,
   Peed on,
   Or pinched by tiny fingers.



Before I was a Mom,
I had complete control of myself;
   My thoughts,
   My body,
   And my mind.
I slept all night.



Before I was a Mom,
I never held down a screaming child
so that doctors could do tests or give shots.
I never looked into teary eyes and cried.
I never got gloriously happy over a simple grin.
I never sat up late hours at night watching a baby sleep.



Before I was a Mom,
I never held a sleeping baby just because I didn't
   want to put it down.
I never felt my heart break into a million pieces
   when I couldn't stop the hurt.
I never knew something so small could affect my
   life so much.
I never knew that I could love someone so much.
I never knew I would love being a Mom.



Before I was a Mom,
I didn't know the feeling of having my
   heart outside my body.
I didn't know how special it could feel
   to feed a hungry baby.
I didn't know that bond between a
   Mother and her child.
I didn't know that something so small
   could make me feel so important.



Before I was a Mom,
I had never gotten up in the middle of
   the night every ten minutes to make
   sure all was okay.
I had never known the warmth,
   The joy,
   The love,
   The heartache,
   The wonderfulment,
   Or the satisfaction of being a Mom.



I didn't know I was capable of feeling so
   much before I was a Mom.

                                                       - Unknown













No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...